Monday, August 19, 2013

Documenting annotated Java classes

I am a big fan of documentation, in particular if it can be produced automatically as a byproduct of metadata.

Introducing Autodoc

For this reason I created a small simple tool which takes JPA2 annotations and turns them into a synthetic HTML report:


I have just released a preview release, all details on how to use it are (or will soon be) on Autodoc Github page .
Currently the simplest way to use it is through its maven plugin and it only parses JPA2 annotation producing a HTML output.

Please let me know if you find it useful; I will add features based on users feedback.
Further planned improvements could be: more input plugins (javax.validation and JAX-RS seem very good candidates), support for source level annotations, more configuration options, more build tools integrations (I love ant and gradle!) and of course I hope to fix bugs as soon as possible!

And don't forget: Autodoc is free software distributed under the Apache License 2.0!

No comments:

Post a Comment